Sunday 25 May 2014

It Is Easily Overlooked....

"It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.."- Tony Visconti


I love to thrift. Thrift stores, yard sales and roadside garbage retrievals give me a thrill. Records, old furniture, vintage dresses and costume jewellery are among my favourite things! Classic pieces have grace and class that is hard to find these days and nothing, I mean notta, was made of rinky dink press board back in the day. Solid wood baby, dove tail joints and scrolly details unparallelled. I guess I am just an old fashioned kind of girl.

I often make a point to make runs to the "Sally-Ann" and yesterday after very little post night shift sleep, I bombed off to value village with a plan to make some cake plates out of vintage dishes. Nothing spoke to me; that is until I was paroozing among the costume jewelry. A couple of vintage broaches caught my eye and at three for five dollars, I really couldn't leave them there. I had to bring them home and make good use of them.

After a glass of wine and a tiny bit of not-so-careful consideration, I gathered some crafting hair clips and some Goop (seriously the BEST adhesive on the face of this earth, that shit will make anything stick forever and ever amen..). I used my badass wire cutters/pliers to snip and pry the pin backings off of the two lovely vintage broaches. Then I decided where to place the clip on the back considering how to keep them from eyes view as well as which direction I would like the broach to sit in my hair. Using Goop (with the windows open, that stuff is stanky), I adhered the clips to the back of the broaches and allowed them to dry overnight. It was exactly a five minute and six dollar project. Quick and dirty but yielding adorable results that have an unexpected quirky flair. They give my short crop a little bit of feminine edge and I will be keeping my eye out for more in the future.

Happy upcying!
m

ps. You can use anything, buttons would be equally as adorable as would broken pieces of vintage tea cups and saucers (that will be my next project!)









No comments:

Post a Comment