Tuesday 8 September 2015

I Wish I Had..

"I wish I had more vacation days."-unknown

Well here we are. Almost the very beginning of September and it is just starting to finally feel like summer (with the odd theatrical intermission that includes some dramatic thunder, lightening and torrential down pours). With summer being late I have a feeling winter will be late and that we are going to have the most wonderfully warm fall. A fall that will hopefully include swimming in the ocean, back yard fires, apple picking and a healthy dose of sunshine. With wedding/beach season coming to a close and boot/scarf season falling quickly upon us, I thought I would share some favourtite beauty products that will help carry your summer look into the fall and some tips on how to use them including an at home manicure that is easy and gives professional results at home! Happy beautifying all!
-m

The best summer-to-fall nails..

Who doesn't love a good mani/pedi? Pampering yourself is important but if you want to save some money and keep your nails fresh, at home manis and pedis are where it is at. As far as at home manicures go, Essie provides some of my favourite colors and products. I always start with a quick trim and file. I follow up with some Sally Hansen cuticle removing gel- this stuff is seriously the best. Leave it on for a few seconds and overgrown cuticles easily push back and can be clipped off providing a perfect canvas for some bright polishes. For a base coat I use Essie's "Ridge filler", I read about this product a while ago and I have been using it every since. One quick coat and it fills ridges and evens out nails for a smooth surface that takes nail polish far better than a naked nail. Next apply two coats of your favoutite Essie color. My current color obsessions for the summer months include "Bikini so teeny" for my toes- it's the perfect bright powdery blue that covers well and looks fabulous with summer kissed skin. For my fingers I am loving "Peach side babe"- a fabulous peach/coral pastel. The Essie fall line up this year is a collection of deeply pigmented jewel tones with some beautiful greys. I am lusting after "The perfect cover up" which is a charcoal grey with blue undertones and "Fall in line" which is a mossy green with grey undertones. To finish of my nails I use one coat of  Essie "Good to go" topcoat. This helps them shine and makes your nails last up to a week (in my experience). Best part? All of the products above can be easily purchased at any local drug store.





The best skin...

The best skin is moisturized, protected and dewy whether it is summer or fall.  I am still in love with Josie Maran Light argan oil for keeping my skin smooth and moisturized. I use a couple of drops every night before bed focusing on dry spots (in my case my nose!).  I also love Aveeno suncreen made specifically for the face, I find it doesn't clog my pores like many other products do and it offers long lasting sun protection. In general I don't go out without SPF on my face whether it is just straight up sunscreen for the beach or if it is in a tinted moisturizer or BB cream. I don't want to look like a raisin when I am older and I am hoping sunscreen will help! I also make sure I wash my face thoroughly at the end of the day to take off makeup and sunscreen and let my face breathe a bit.


The best coverage...

As far as makeup with natural coverage, I am still a big fan if Garnier BB cream. It smooths, evens and it is light and airy on my face. If I need a little more coverage I am absolutely in love with Nars "All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation". This product goes a long way. It has no preservatives and it is like air on my face all the while evening out my skin and making it look airbrushed. Tips for this product- because it has no preservative make sure you mix/shake it well, it will separate if you don't. Also one pump should do your whole face and instead of using a brush the Nars representative at Sephora encouraged me to use my hands for an even application while using less product. Win-win.




 The best summer-to-fall blush...

Nars Orgasm blush is a cult classic for a reason. It it peachy-pink, it reflects light and looks great both on fair skin and dark skin tones. This is a color that will never go out of style and it's hyper-pigmentation means a little goes very far.


The best bronzer...

I have tried buckets of bronzers. Drug store, high end and anything in between and I always come back to MAC's bronzing powder in "bronze".  It gives a natural sun-kissed finish without the harmful rays and without looking like a bad contouring job. It is natural enough to help carry a summery glow easily into the fall without looking too done.




The best eyebrows...

Duh! Summer, winter, spring, fall Anastasia Dip Brow pomade is the best eyebrow product I have ever used. Throw out your gels, your fibers, your pencils and your powders and make way for the best eyebrows you have ever had. A pot lasts for a year or so and applies very easily in small brush strokes with an angled brush. It is waterproof but washes off easily with facial cleanser and it holds down longer stray hairs. Use as little or as much as you would like to help create as dramatic or natural of a look as you want!


The best waterproof mascara...

Water proof mascara is good for the beach, the pool, for sweatin' at the gym and for all of the emotional moments at your bestie's weddings. Make Up For Ever's Aqua Smokey Extravagant mascara lengthens, fills and doesn't flake. It stays in place until you wash it off and I promise it won't run when your bestie says I do.




The best inexpensive lip...

Matte lips seem to be a trend that is hanging around. Surprisingly, Rimmel has an amazing line of exceptional, inexpensive lipsticks and the matte ones are worth discussing. They are the Kate Moss line and although the are dry, as all matte lipsticks are, they don't flake around the lip and they will stay put all damn day. There is a crazy number of on point colors ranging from pin-up reds to classic nudes and priced between $5.99 and $7.99 these are serious bang for your buck. Check out color 104 for a pinky-taupe that will look good on any skin-tone and that can easily transition from sun-kissed beach babe to fall fashionista. For the best natural/neutral pink I have always loved MAC's Modesty lipstick but Rimmel has a color in their Kate Moss line that I may prefer even more and the color number is 08. This is an amazing find considering I have been wearing Modesty for at least five years.



Happy beautifying all!
-m

No comments:

Post a Comment