Sunday 21 July 2013

Cilantro...

"Cilantro, I would pick it out and throw it on the floor!"- Julia Child referring to a eating dish with cilantro...

What is it about cilantro anyway? People LOVE it or people HATE it. I have yet to meet someone with zero opinion or neutrality towards the bright, leafy green. I have mentioned it before, cilantro is the devil to my taste buds. Think I am being dramatic? I shit you not, even a little hint of that evil herb and I am so turned off that I can no longer eat the dish. I am trying to like it...I try hard too but my research tells me that we are genetically predisposed to like or hate cilantro, quite like broccoli. Some people taste it as bitter and some find it sweet. To me it tastes like dandy-lion greens rubbed in dirt. Even my dear Julia Child hates it, that says a lot!

I trusted the cute barista at Local Joe's cafe the other day, I asked him which salad was his favourite and he suggested a black bean and mango one (exclaiming that is was healthy to boot!). Sounded great until he brought it over...it was positively teeming with cilantro, full to the brim! Luckily it wasn't overly chopped, I picked it out and otherwise the salad was delicious! It reminded me of the mango salsa I posted last summer, but a little more substantial! My take on it can be found below (cilantro free if you so wish).
-m

Black Bean and Mango Salad

You will need...
- 1 can of  drained (no salt added) black beans, rinse 'em well in cold water!
- 1 mango peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 can of drained whole kernel corn
- Juice of one lime
- 1tbs of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder

Optional:
-1/2 tsp sugar (if you like things sweet!)
- 1 cup of halved grape tomatoes OR 1 cup of diced orange pepper
- 2 tbs of chopped cilantro (gag!) or 2 tbs parsley chopped

Toss all ingredients in a large bowl, refrigerate and serve cold as a fun and colourful alternative to pasta salads for pot lucks and summer barbeque's.




No comments:

Post a Comment